Summer is here and we all want to feel better as the weather is warm. Here are some practical ways to help modify your current diet and life choices:
- Make sure that at least half of each meal is plant based
- Consume a wide variety of colorful fruits and vegetables. All of the different colors found in plants are derived from phytochemicals which may help prevent cancer.
- Try exploring local farmers markets or consider signing up for Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) to enjoy locally grown and seasonal produce. Find some options near you at http://www.localharvest.org
- Choose whole grain carbohydrates like whole grain breads, pasta, crackers and brown rice to help meet the recommended daily fiber intake of 25-38 grams per day. Use nutrition fact labels to help identify high-fiber foods by choosing carbohydrates with > 3 grams of dietary fiber per serving.
- Incorporate plant sources of protein (like legumes, such as beans and lentils) into meals to reduce saturated fat intake.
- Get out and walk. Work in your yard or garden. Get outside every day, even if its still cold. It’s good for the mind and body.
- Limit non-work screen time to less than 2 hours a day.
- Have a positive attitude. Attitude can affect your inflammatory levels in your blood.
- Limit Alcoholic beverages
Hopefully this is helpful to you. Please comment with what you are going to do to the rest of the summer to stay healthy and happy!