There has been some great research projects on the benefits of gratitude in our country as well as around the world. Keeping a journal of gratitude can increase your well being and life satisfaction.
Every day find something that you are grateful for and journal or just sit and think about it. It helps to be specific and write down things like “today my friend called me and told me how much they care about me and I’m really grateful for her/him”. This practice will help with your general outlook and mental health.
Here are some tips and ideas on how to incorporate gratitude into your life:
- Tell people what you are grateful for.
- Focus your gratitude on people instead of things
- Write something down every day
- Keep a gratitude log/or jar
- Write a gratitude letter to someone who has had impact to you.
- Share your grateful moments around the dinner table
- Anticipate beauty and be grateful for it (it’s all around you)
- Build a ritual around gratitude every day!